- Gen. Paik Sun-yup’s 100th Birthday
- ROK-U.S. Combined Forces Command (CFC)
- Korea Defense Veterans
- KDVA Internship Program
- CFC's Command Post Exercises (CPXs)
- United Nations Command
- Tribute to Gen. Paik, Sun-yup
- Enduring Nature of “Alliance for the Ages"
- 70 Years of the Irreplaceable ROK-U.S. Alliance
- Combined Forces Command Leadership During Crisis
- Veteran Small Business Start-Ups
- Partner's Webinars
Gen. Paik Sun-yup’s 100th Birthday: Stories from His Daughter, Ms. Namhi Park
The Korea Defense Veterans Association (KDVA) and the Korea-U.S. Alliance Foundation (KUSAF) were very honored and thankful to share Ms. Park’s stories to remember her father’s lifetime of contributions to the Korean people and the ROK-U.S. Alliance. General Paik is the greatest hero and champion of the ROK-U.S. Alliance, and KDVA and KUSAF are committed to ensuring his legacy of service and love for the Alliance inspires current and future generations.
Opening Remarks: General (Ret.) Vincent Brooks, KDVA Chairman and President
Moderator: Colonel (Ret.) Steve Lee, KDVA Senior VP
Special Guest: Ms. Namhi Park, Gen. Paik’s oldest daughter
ROK-U.S. Combined Forces Command (CFC) Webinar
Date & Time:
- November 19, 2020 | 6:30 – 7:45 p.m. EST
- November 20, 2020 | 8:30 – 9:45 a.m. KST
- How CFC has evolved to support the ROK-U.S. Alliance and to defend against the North Korean threat.
- Go behind the scenes to hear how CFC leaders and the staff work together to solve issues.
- Discuss what we need to understand about wartime operational control (or OPCON) transition.
- Take a look at where we see CFC headed in the next 2-4 years.
- General Robert B. Abrams – Commander of UNC/CFC/USFK
- Dr. Stephen Noerper – Senior Director for Policy, Korea Society; Adjunct Professor, Columbia University; Senior Adviser, UN
- Dr. Ashton Cho – VP & Director of Int’l Security Cooperation at Korea Association of Military Studies
- General (Ret.) Vincent Brooks – Chairman and President at Korea Defense Veterans Association and Former Commander of UNC/CFC/USFK
- General (Ret.) Leem, Ho Young – ROK Vice Chairman at Korea Defense Veterans Association and Former Deputy Commander of CFC
- Mr. Bruce Klingner – Senior Research Fellow, Northeast Asia at The Heritage Foundation
Korea Defense Veterans Webinar Series
September 17, 2020
The Non Commissioned Officers Association (NCOA) and the Korea Defense Veterans Association (KDVA) proudly present a webinar series about the vital contributions of our Korean Defense Veterans who took up the mantle of defending South Korea and serving the ROK-U.S. Alliance from our Korean War Veterans.
The main topics areas are:
– To provide Korean Defense Veterans and their families an opportunity to talk about their assignments in Korea.
– To raise awareness about their vital, irreplaceable mission in Korea.
– To highlight how Korea really is an assignment of choice.
KDVA Internship Program
On September 10, 2020, KDVA held a webinar about the KDVA Internship Program to give our members and supporters insights into the program and to answer questions from anyone interested in applying for the next internship group KDVA conducted a roundtable with General Sharp and KDVA Interns during the webinar.
The Importance of Combined Forces Command’s Command Post Exercises (CPXs)
August 13, 2020 – This webinar provided a very unique perspective on why these exercises matter in building the CFC warfighting team, growing a stronger Alliance, and maintaining an important deterrence against North Korea.
Featured Speaker: Lt. Gen. (Ret.) David Valcourt, Former Commander Eighth Army & Former Senior Mentor for CPXs
United Nations Command Webinar
KDVA’s July 27, 2020, webinar on the significant role of the United Nations Command in maintaining stability on the Korean Peninsula.
- Gen. (Ret.) Curtis Scaparrotti, Former Commander, United Nations Command
- Gen. (Ret.) Vincent Brooks, Former Commander, United Nations Command
- Col. Shawn Creamer
- Moderator: Lt. Gen. (Ret.) JD Johnson, Former Commander, Eighth Army
A Tribute to General and Ambassador Paik, Sun-yup Webinar
In memory of Gen. and Amb. Paik, Sun-yup, the Korea Defense Veterans Association (KDVA) and the Korea-U.S. Alliance Foundation (KUSAF) hosted a webinar to pay tribute to the greatest leader and mentor of the ROK-U.S. Alliance. Gen. Paik passed away on July 10, 2020 at the age of 99.
TRIBUTES & STORIES BY:
- Gen. (Ret.) Walter Sharp (Moderator), Former Commander, UNC/CFC/USFK
- Amb. Kathleen Stephens, Former U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Korea
- Amb. Ahn, Ho-young, Former ROK Ambassador to the United States
- Mr. Marc Knapper, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State
- Gen. (Ret.) Jung, Seung Jo, Former Chairman, ROK Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Gen. (Ret.) Curtis Scaparrotti, Former Commander, UNC/CFC/USFK
- Gen. (Ret.) Vincent Brooks, Former Commander, UNC/CFC/USFK
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) David Valcourt, Former Commander, U.S. Eighth Army
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Chun, Inbum, Former Commander, ROK Special Warfare Command
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Bernard Champoux, Former Commander, U.S. Eighth Army
- Maj. Gen. (Ret.) Lee, Seo Young, Former ROK Defense Attaché to the United States
- Sgt. Maj. (Ret.) Robert Winzenried, Former Command Sergeant Major, UNC/CFC/USFK
Fulfilling Our Veterans’ Legacy Enduring Nature of “Alliance for the Ages” Webinar
June 26, 2020
Part 2 of KDVA’s 2-part webinar series for the 70th commemoration of the Korean War addressed fulfilling our Veterans’ legacy. The format consisted of a discussion and Q&A session with prominent Korea experts and senior military leaders of KDVA.
- Moderator, Gen. (Ret.) Walter Sharp, Former Commander USFK, UNC, & CFC from 2008 to 2011
- Gen. (Ret.) John Tilelli, Former Commander USFK, UNC, & CFC from 1996 to 1999
- Maj. Gen. (Ret.) Shin, Kyoung Soo, Former ROK Defense Attaché to the United States from 2014 to 2016
- Dr. Bruce Bennett, Adjunct International / Defense Researcher at the RAND Corporation
- Korean War’s place in shaping ROK-U.S. relations
- The need for a strong Alliance — what we are doing to ensure Korean War veterans’ service and sacrifice live on today and into the future
- Highlight the “Wall of Remembrance” as an enduring example of the “Alliance for the Ages.”
Honoring Those Who Served – 70 Years of the Irreplaceable ROK-U.S. Alliance Webinar
June 25, 2020
Part 1 of KDVA’s 2-part webinar series for the 70th commemoration of the Korean War honored those who served during the Korean War. The format consisted of a panel discussion and Q&A session with Korean War Veterans and their family members.
- Moderator – Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Bernard Champoux, Former Commanding General, Eighth Army
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Phil Shutler, Korean War Veteran
- Ms. Sharon Extrom, Daughter of Robert Extrom, Korean War Veteran
- Mr. Sal Scarlato, Korean War Veteran
- Look back on those who served and sacrificed during the war; include the perspective of families through the decades
- Discuss why they think their service was worth fighting the war
- Look now at recognizing and honoring service members and their families.
ROK-U.S. Leadership During Crisis Webinar Series, “CFC Leadership During Crisis”
This webinar is a series and for the first session, the topic is “Combined Forces Command Leadership During Crisis” with the former Commander of CFC, General Walter Sharp, and former Deputy Commander, General Jung, Seung Jo.
Our intent is to discuss their shared experiences with combined ROK and U.S. military leadership during crisis. Their thoughts should provide foundational insight that can be useful for other topics like: instability in North Korea, exchange of fires along the DMZ, and North Korean strategic provocations to include nuclear tests and missile launches. This webinar does not intend to get into the decision-making space of the current leaders of CFC … we only want to help people better understand how CFC works during crisis.